About Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy
What is Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy?
Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy (VRT) is a form of physiotherapy used to treat many conditions that cause dizziness & balance problems. (VRT) uses science-based treatments, designed to get you back to feeling like yourself again. VRT is safe and effective and doesn’t involve medication. For Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy in Toronto, we can help.
What causes dizziness and how can Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy help?
Dizziness comes from a large number of sources, including problems with your heart, nervous system, vision, inner ear and medication.
The good news is that up to two thirds of individuals suffering from dizziness and imbalance are effectively treated by Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy.
Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy will help with the following symptoms:
- Dizziness and/or vertigo
- Difficulty being in busy places
- Trouble following moving objects or driving
- Difficulty with flickering/moving lights
- Trouble walking without holding onto something
- Difficulty walking in the dark
- Trouble with balance with changes in the shoes you wear
- Difficulty walking on uneven surfaces
- Trouble with busy wall and floor patterns
- Nausea with head movements
- Blurring with head movements
- Recent hearing loss with dizziness.
Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy will help the following medical conditions:
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Labyrinthitis and Vestibular Neuritis
- Balance Problems
- Concussion and Post-Concussion Syndrome
- Acoustic Neuroma (if stable or post-operative)
- Ménière’s Disease (if accompanied by vestibular loss)
What is involved in Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy?
The type and number of treatments are customized to your needs and condition. It has the following parts:
Hands-on maneuvers (e.g. the Epley’s Maneuver) to treat BPPV
For nausea (e.g. Acupuncture)
Gaze Stability Exercises
For individuals with Vestibular Loss (e.g. Labyrinthitis, Vestibular Neuritis, etc.)
To improve your balance, whether you are standing still or moving
To help overcome motion sickness & sensitivity
Only if needed and until you get your balance back, prescription of gait aids
Return to Activity
Once your are ready, a gradual return to work, school & sport activities
For more detailed information about treatments at our three Toronto locations please click:
This information is not provided to self-diagnose. Dizziness comes from many sources. It is therefore very IMPORTANT that you also consult your doctor.
For more information on Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy in Toronto, please contact us today.